Original recipe: Smashed Cucumber Salad
Cucumber Salad with Sesame Oil and Garlic
Makes 2 cups
- 3 large pickling cucumbers OR 1 english cucumber
- 1 t. white sugar (I used biodynamic)
- 1 t. himalayan pink salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely crushed (would be better grated on a microplane)
- 1 T. rice vinegar
- 1 t. soy or 2 t. tamari sauce
- 1 t. toasted sesame oil
- red pepper flakes to taste (I used a pinch, it gets hotter as it sits)
- 2 t. toasted sesame seeds
Wrap the cucumbers in a dish cloth, place on a cutting board, and pound with a flat object (I used my meat pounder) until they break. Unwrap, transfer to cutting board, slice each one lengthwise, than in half lengthwise again. Slice into 1" pieces.
|Cucumbers smashed in dishcloth|
Whisk together the garlic, vinegar, tamari, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Transfer cucumber to a bowl and mix with the sauce. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for flavors to mingle. Sprinkle with toasted sesame and serve.