My plan to avoid cognitive decline
My grandmother died with Alzheimer's.
My mother was diagnosed with Dementia at age 87 and lived with it for another 10 years.
I intend to avoid both of these diseases.
for an explanation of the steps I plan to follow.
I will be updating this page with my results and comments as things progress.
Here's what I've done so far:
1. Get a personalized diet plan like SWAMI
, to determine lectins dangerous for my genotype
2. Have all amalgam tooth fillings removed
- I've been following my SWAMI since 2006
- In June 2018, if you get this done through COEGM it will cost you $515
- If you have it done through Dr. Robert Brody it will be much cheaper
by a mercury-safe dentist
3. Have my genome decoded
- I had this done years ago.
4. Have Opus 23 analyze results
Optimize filtration mechanisms:
1. Insure colon is functioning correctly - as least 2 BM/day, ability to produce diarrhea.
- This cost $515 for my initial 90-minute appointment
- Subsequent 60-minute appointments with Dr. Robert Brody were $300
- You can find a local practitioner HERE.
- If you use Dr. Robert Brody please tell him I referred you (no, I don't get a commission).
2. Insure minerals are balanced.
- I now start each day with a green smoothie, and I have greatly increased my consumption of resistant starches (sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, celeriac, etc...). I've also reduced my protein intake. This has made me very regular.
3. Get detox pathways working.
- Still working on this as I'm not sure how to determine whether they're off. I add minerals to my morning smoothie which I hope will correct any imbalance.
- I am currently working with Dr. Robert Brody on correcting my detox pathways. He has an AMAZING amount of knowledge in this area and was able to answer every one of my questions without hesitation. I recommend him wholeheartedly. If you are in New England and can visit him in person, he accepts insurance. If not, he's able to work with you remotely via Zoom.
Dr. Brody agreed that it would be a good idea for me to detox because, as I suspected, I DO have SNPS in several places which compromise my ability to create/clear certain compounds.
I'm not going to share exactly what he prescribed for me because the supplements are specific to MY GENOME and I don't want someone with different SNPs following my protocol. Here are some
of the changes he recommended FOR ME:
Increase dosage of Ashwagandha for adrenal health.
Switch from Berberine to Skullcap for brain health.
Increase dosage of Quercetin for allergies
Maintain dosage of DHA and billberry for eye health
Maintain dosage of Magnesium Threonate for brain health
Eliminate Vitamin D3 and K2 until I have had my levels tested (I was taking too much)
He added the following:
to correct several SNPs that compromise my ability to create serotonin.
, which corrects 7 gene traits, to accomplish the following processes:
- Strengthen the immune system
- Detoxify the body
- Improve the rate of cellular repair
- Boost brain function
After two months on these supplements - which my body will use to clear
those compounds that require serotonin - I will add a specific type of b12
which will improve my methylation pathways. Which type of B12 is determined by my genes.
Concurrently, he prescribed several supplements for brain health:
Klaire Target gb-X
for gut-brain axis. When I questioned the ingredients "maize starch (cornstarch)" and "maltodextrin (sugar)" he said they were there to provide food for the probiotics, and were refined to the point where all lectins had been removed.
, 1 t. per day, for healthy brain and nerve function. You can get this directly from Dr. Brody
, or you can get it cheaper via Amazon's Subscribe and Save program
. If you want to save even more money, you can make your own 'complex' using the following 3 ingredients. You can use other brands but the quality won't be as high. I add 1 t. to my morning smoothie
Dr. Brody also approved the use of Gotu Kola, Bacopa Monnieri, Guducci Stem, and Lion's Mane for several other SNPs but I will be adding them one at a time to determine if I have a reaction.
Concurrently, I've decide to start lining my gut with binders even though I haven't yet done all the other steps.
This should trap any new toxins I ingest before they can be added to
whatever is already in my body. It should make detoxing easier once I
get to the 'mobilizing' stage. In the master list below I've crossed
out the ones I'm not going to take until I start mobilizing:
UPDATE June 18, 2018:
- Zeobind CLINOPTILOLITE - for toxic metals, organophosphates, insecticides, pesticides, dyes, (I use PURE BODY, a liquid spray I can carry with me. It is as clean as ZeoBind)
- Silica from horsetail - for aluminum and glyphosate
Microsilica - for lead, cadmium, nickle, mercury, and barium
MetalSweep - microsilica plus vitamin C for prolonged effect along the entire gut
- Chlorella PYRENOIDOSA - a host of toxins that then don't go through the kidneys
(I use THIS ONE)
Activated Coconut Charcoal - for mycotoxins (fungi) except for aflatoxin
Calcium bentonite living green clay - for plant and mold based biotoxins including aflatoxin
- PC Ecklonia Cava - same metal binding capacity as chlorella but a different spectrum
- Sophia FLOW - to clear the lymph nodes in my brain
Yesterday, my friend and I drove down to Dr. Brody's
office to have him run a BIA test
on us, to create a professional version of SWAMI, and to be registered as a patient so he can order labs under our insurance plan. We had a WONDERFUL TIME!!! We were the last patients of the day and spent the entire afternoon with him. Afterwards, we had a delicious dinner at a restaurant across the street that uses grass fed beef and organic vegetables. They have an outdoor patio, the temperature was a comfortable 74 degrees, and there were no bugs. It was an absolutely perfect day.
My BIA scores were 'good' but not 'great' so I will be working to improve them. We added Membrosia Complex
to my supplements. I take them with ginger tea and it tastes good.
My new, professional, SWAMI is very close to my old xpress SWAMI except that he emphasized foods to improve my BIA scores.
I'll be going back next month to see whether I've improved. I'll be getting the B12 supplement at that time, too. I haven't noticed any changes in the weeks since I've been taking the riboflavin and glutathione
except that I'm using the bathroom more frequently. Dr. Brody says this is because my body is getting rid of wastes, which is exactly what I want it to do!
UPDATE December 18, 2018:
It's now been 6 months since my last Brody appointment and I've leaned a LOT about my body during that time. I will post an update after I review my findings with Dr. Brody.
Listed below are links to the other cognitive decline pages on this blog:
Dementia and Alzheimer's Overview
DETOXING - Why it's necessary
DETOXING - How to - PRELIMINARIES
DETOXING - How to - MOBILIZING TOXINS
DETOXING - How to - OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
DETOXING - How to - SYNOPSIS
Review of Dr. Bredesen's The End of Alzheimer's